Friday, August 24, 2007

About Our FIrst Occupation

This story is from a scene from the movie, 300.

King of Sparta met the Commander of another Greek State on the high mountains with a weak breeze blowing.

The Other Commander brought thousands of soldiers to resist the army of persian King Xerxes while King of Sparta brought only 300(as the title suggests).

The Other Commander spoke to King of Sparta with some contempt, stating that he expects the strongest military state in Greece to contribute more Soldiers in the combined Greek Army.

King of Sparta responded coolly.

He asked the soldier on the other side what his occupation was. "Farmer" came the reply. He asked another. "Sculptor" came the reply.

Now the point was made.

The other Greek armies were made of citizens like the SAF but the Spartans were different. The first calling of every male is to be a Soldier. There were a total of 20 000 males in the city state of Sparta and all of them were trained as Soldiers. The city's economy was supported by 200 000 slaves.

It caused me to ask myself the question, " What is MY Occupation?"
The textbook answer was of course, "Full time Christian, Part time Student."

Then I asked myself, "What then is the first calling of a Christian?"
It became obvious to me that my first calling was to Christ, Prayers and Obeying His words. (which means i have to read them)

So the most simple things were the most important.
Because Nothing in a Christian is built other than being built upon these 2 pillars. Everything else is secondary.

But on what foundations do we sit?

Jesus is a brother, a friend, a Lord.
One day, He will cause us to account to all aspects of our relationship with Him.

How many moments do I wanna miss with God?
How much good quality time do i wanna miss with Him?
How many of His exciting blessings do i wanna miss?
How many times do i wanna defy His will for me?

I wanna trust in God all my life.
Cos He is the strength of my heart and the Source of my faith.

My first Occupation is to be a Christian.
A Christian Heart, Brain and Life.
I pray when i go see my spiritual muscles, it is an 8-pack like the Spartan Soldiers... hahaha... Big Biceps and Scary Triceps. Strong Legs which can run to the Ends of this Earth..
Remember Jesus..

No comments: